Student Legal Services

Preliminary Breath Test (PBT)


A preliminary breath test (PBT) may be requested by a police officer who may have some reason to believe an individual may be under 21 years old and has consumed alcohol. The device tests for blood alcohol content and the results may be used as evidence of the crime.

However, without a warrant, an individual does not have to consent to take the test. Remember, an illegal search violates the Fourth Amendment. NOTE: This applies to an MIP-type of situation. It does not apply to similar blood alcohol tests administered as part of a “Drinking and Driving” situation.

Contact Us

New clients must call to schedule an appointment. Be sure to bring your student ID and any relevant document with you to your appointment. No legal advice will be given over the telephone or via e-mail.

Mailing Address
University of Michigan
Student Legal Services
Division of Student Life
715 N. University Ave., Suite 202
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1605
Find us on the map

Telephone 734.763.9920
Fax 734.936.0844

Friend us on Facebook!