Student Legal Services

Student Legal Services (“SLS”) is staffed by competent, dedicated, and caring attorneys/support staff.  We have five attorneys:  Alexander W. Hermanowski, Douglas Lewis, U. Ashwin Patel, Gayle Rosen, and K. Orlando Simón.  We also have one paralegal, Christina N. Arnold, as well as, an office manager, Samantha N. Oetting.  When combined, our staff has more than 50-years of legal experience.  For our attorneys, this experience includes positive relationships with Washtenaw County prosecutors, judges, and other local attorneys.

Truly, we all understand that defending a legal issue can be overwhelming for not only the student, but his/her family. Further, without legal advice and/or representation, a promising academic career and/or future job prospect can be negatively derailed.  Because of this, our entire staff is dedicated to assisting your student pursue the most advantageous course of action.


SLS’ services are limited to current students of the Ann Arbor campus. Typically, our attorneys only represent cases in Washtenaw County courts.  SLS provides legal assistance and representation to students in various areas of law, including criminal, landlord tenant, consumer disputes, and family.  We also provide notary services.  If your student’s issue is an area of law that we do not handle, in certain areas, we may be able to provide a referral. 

The Services Performed

Our attorneys can provide the following services:

  • Consult with your student privately on his/her legal issue

  • Attend court hearings with your student

  • Negotiate on your student’s behalf, i.e. criminal and lease matters

Attorney-Client Privilege

As members of the State Bar of Michigan, SLS’ attorneys adhere to the rules of professional conduct.  Therefore, when your student is faced with a legal issue, please know that your student is our client.  This means that any and all communications pertaining to your student’s legal matter is governed by attorney-client privilege. Because of this fact, SLS cannot discuss your student’s legal matter with you or any other third-party.  However, your student can waive his/her attorney-client privilege by so indicating in writing.

The Initial Intake Appointment

Even though your student can waive his/her attorney-client privilege, please know that our attorneys will typically meet with him/her alone during the initial intake appointment.  The intake appointment lasts about 20-minutes.  It is during this meeting that your student provides documentation for the attorney to review and details the background information of his/her case.  The attorney will then recommend a course of action. After the initial intake appointment and your student informs us in writing that we can speak to a parent, we would be more than happy to communicate with you.


SLS’ services are at no cost to your student.  SLS is funded from a fee which is assessed each semester along with tuition.  However, your student will be responsible to pay for any court filing fees and/or fines.