Attorneys are not permitted to represent any party in a Small Claims case. However, please make an appointment with us to discuss any questions you may have regarding the small claims process. Below is an overview:
- File in the 15th District Court located at the Ann Arbor Municipal Center (301 E. Huron Street, 4th Floor) if your claim is up to $6,000. For claims greater than $6,000, or if the case is removed to the District Court, please make an appointment to meet with a Student Legal Services attorney.
- Complete the Affidavit and Claim form.
- Sign the Affidavit and Claim form in the presence of the clerk so that your signature can be notarized.
- Current filing fees are (as of 1/19):
- Claims up to $600 $30.00
- Claims of $600 to $1,750 $50.00
- Claims of $1,751 to $6,000 $70.00
Once the Defendant has been served with a copy of the Affidavit and Claim, the Court will schedule a date for mediation. If the case is not resolved at mediation, a hearing will be scheduled with the magistrate or judge.