Attorneys are not permitted to represent any party in a Small Claims case. However, please make an appointment with us to discuss any questions you may have regarding the small claims process. Below is an overview:
- File in the 15th District Court located at the Ann Arbor Municipal Center (301 E. Huron Street, 4th Floor) if your claim is for less than $5,500. For claims greater than $5,500, or if the case is removed to the District Court, please make an appointment to meet with a Student Legal Services attorney.
- Camera cell phones are not permitted in the building.
- Purchase a small claims AFFIDAVIT and CLAIM form (25 cents) at the Courthouse. (Sample included here).
- Complete the form and sign the form in the presence of the clerk so that your signature can be notarized.
- Pay the filing fee and the service of process fee. Current filing fees are as follows:
- Claim up to $600 $25.00
- Claim over $600 to $1,750 $45.00
- Claim over $1,751 to $5,500 $65.00
Once the Defendant has been served with a copy of the Affidavit and Claim, the Court will schedule a date for mediation. If the case is not resolved at mediation, a hearing will be scheduled with the magistrate or judge.